Sundre High School Graduation
Graduation is the completion of Alberta Learning curriculum that confers upon the student an Alberta High School Diploma, or Certificate of Completion.
At Sundre High School students must also complete an application for graduation. This application process asks some questions regarding their plans beyond high school and also helps us ensure that we find scholarships and post-secondary opportunities that are taylored to each and every individual student.
Convocation (Cap and Gown)
- Is the formal act of walking across the “stage” to receive your diploma from the Principal / MLA / Board of Education.
- Takes place in the school gymnasium.
- Presentation of the scrolls, Principal’s Address, Valedictorian Address, etc.
- This event is organized by the school.
- Funded by the school.
- Is the promenade Tux and Dress celebration event that has a meal / program / dance.
- This event is organized by the parents (Grad Committee) in consultation with the high school.
- Partially funded from May Queen fundraising by the graduating class.
- Usually in a large facility like the arena/curling rink.
Grad portraits are done through Lifetouch generally during our winter break in February. Appointment bookings can be made on-line beginning at the end of January. Any students who know they will not be here during photo time or require retakes must contact Lifetouch in Red Deer at 403-356-9410. It is important that every Grad have a photo taken for the composite picture and yearbook. There is no obligation to purchase these photos.
Picture packages are made available to individual graduates, with the cost varying according to the package contents. Cost confirmation is made available by Lifetouch (www.lifetouch.ca) when proofs arrive.
Sundre High School graduation rings may be purchased any time. This is an additional cost and varies as to the style of ring. The ring supplier, Jostens, usually sets up a booth at the school during the noon hour for the graduates' measuring pleasure! If you miss ordering your ring on the dates set by Jostens, please visit www.jostens.com.
All students taking part in the Cap & Gown Ceremony need to be measured to ensure the proper size gown is ordered. These measurements are usually done in March.
Grad biographies need to be completed and returned to the office for each grad. This information is included in the yearbook and is read aloud as the grad walks to the stage during the Cap & Gown Ceremony. Grad bio forms can be picked up and returned to the office starting in April.